Music City Freelance Editor offers authors and fledgling writers premier services.
MCFE novel editing sets itself apart by allowing the author to choose an initial evaluation. For some authors, that’s all they need to kick-start the editing process, and they continue revising their manuscript on their own.
The evaluation also determines what edit it needs. MCFE provides a thorough explanation, and the author has the option to accept the plan and fees involved, choose a lesser package, or not purchase further packages.
If the author chooses an editing package, I factor the $75 evaluation fee into the fee structure. And if an author changes his/her mind, i.e. requesting a line edit instead of copyediting during the process, then Music City Freelance Editing will endeavor to accept the author’s wishes, time permitting, but I will assess a new contract and fee.
MCFE adheres to Chicago of Manual Style standards.
Whether it’s reviewing, editing novels, or business publications, Music City Freelance Editor’s goal is to make you and your work stand out. MCFE will work with clients to determine the best possible fee structure to meet their needs, regardless of the package.
EDITING FEE STRUCTURE:
Initial Evaluation: $75
Three chapters, 1-2 and a random later chapter of full-length novels, (short stories, novelettes, and novellas are not included in this package because of the low word count), 8 1/2 X 11 pages. A thorough assessment of plot, tone, voice, pov control, grammar and spelling.
Copyediting/Proofreading $15-$35 per hour**
* Correction of all spelling, capitalization, and punctuation issues
* Errors in grammar, syntax, and word usage
* Suggestions, in copyediting, if paragraphs seem overly wordy/convoluted/repetitive.
** Fee is based on the number of errors needing revision in the story. Copyediting is more involved while Proofreading is just a polish.
Line-Edit $30-$50 per hour
* Review language used to communicate the story
* Clear, fluid, sentences and paragraphs to ensure the story is pleasurable to read
* Suggestions for atmosphere, emotion, and tone
* Help with redundant sentences or vocabulary. I suggest this package if the manuscript is in the final draft stages but requires some polishing.
Developmental Edit $40-$80 per hour
* Identifying and captivating a particular audience
* Structure organization, including the arrangement or placement of certain passages, scenes, and chapters
* Assessing character motivation and consistency
I recommend this package if the manuscript is in the early draft stages. Note: Authors are always welcome to submit their first three chapters during this stage as a gauge.
Timeframe: Depending on word count and service, I strive to have manuscripts back in the author’s hands within 2-4 weeks.
Indie or first-time authors struggle to garner significant attention to their novels. I have written reviews for best-selling romance authors since I became an editor. You can trust me to do the same for your novel. I pride myself on giving honest, unbiased feedback.
This service entails two parts. The first an editorial review. Fee: $50.00. This price is well below market value. In fact, in my own research of editorial reviews, many begin at $400.00+.
Business Editing Services
I am proficient in MLA, APA, and CMOS styles. However, as a former college professor, learning other styles is quite easy.
Edit $30 per hour
* Developmental editing of publication. It is a detailed edit researching sources for accuracy, commenting and suggesting revisions, and grammar and spellcheck.
Proofread $25 per hour
* Final line proofing, grammar, and spellcheck.
**Discount available on the purchase of two or more novel editing packages. Initial Evaluation*** service is free with the purchase of Developmental or Standard Edit.
FEES & CONDITIONS
All services shall be paid through PayPal.
Packages exceeding $100 require a 50% initial deposit. At 75% completion, the remaining 50% will be invoiced and payable upon receipt.
Manuscripts exceeding $500 require a 35% deposit. After 75% completion, the remaining 65% will be invoiced and payable upon receipt. If the client needs to divide payment into three parts, please let me know during the planning stage. I am willing to work with the client.