Music City Freelance Editing is a seasoned editor, editing novels, fiction, and nonfiction. However, I am not just a one-industry wonder. I also have experience editing documents in business and travel industry as well.
Music City Freelance Editing allows authors to work with an experienced editor without breaking their wallets. We work with beginner, independent authors, as well as, established authors. MCFE understands the struggle with demands on where and how authors spend money on their books. It is my goal to help authors put forth their best-finished product while taking into mind their budget. Because I accept the MS in an electronic format, I don’t rely on line spacing during editing. The result, I charge by word count.
In addition, Music City Freelance Editing also works with businesses, charging on an hourly basis. I’m competing with thousands of freelance businesses, so I’ve used a sliding scale on types and size of projects.
I bring sixteen years experience to my clients. I have been through industry changes within academic and the editing community. My work is top-notch. I give my clients my full attention, glean their needs, and return quality work.
I work in WORD. Please do not send a .pdf file or Google Docs. I use both track changes and comments when editing the document. Upon completion, I return a marked-up copy and any further comments needed are placed in the email. One thing I require of authors is that they do not send me a copy that is already formatted for publishing unless Music City Freelance Editing is completing a final line edit. Thank you for your consideration in this matter.
MCFE determines its fee solely upon word count. Once I go through a sample edit, usually about 10-15 pages, I’ll determine the fee. I may ask the author to send not only a few pages from a single chapter but also random pages. Once I have proofed the sample pages, I return the document to the author with my fee structure.
Later, if I find the MS requires more than what the author and I might both have agreed was a small job, the lowest fee, might turn out to be more involved, let’s say a medium fee contract, I will explain to the author why I determined that the work was more complex and give the author the option to go with my suggestions or stick to our original plan. Music City Freelance Editing will honor the author’s desires, performing the task agreed on, giving the same quality work whether Proofing or Developmental Edit. If the author changes his/her mind during the process then Music City Freelance Editing will endeavor to assist the author’s wishes, time permitting, but a new contract and fee will be negotiated.
Here I want to stress once more, MCFE uses industry standard Chicago of Manual Style when editing. In addition, I also consult The Copy Editors Handbook. I use the latest edition of both to ensure the work I complete is up to date. One thing I have learned by working with publishing houses is that there is a standard in wording. Let’s say American English vs British English. Normally, I will stay with American spellings. However, international clients can rest assured that I will keep their spellings and colloquialisms IF the story is set outside the USA.
Business owners do not need to fear MCFE lacks in knowledge of industry requirements. I am proficient in MLA and APA styles as well. I’m capable of formatting documents to their needs having worked with Microsoft Office since 2001.
Whether it’s beta-reading, editing novels, or business publications, Music City Freelance Editing’s goal is to make you and your work stand out. MCFE will work with clients to determine the best possible fee structure to meet their needs. Yet, be assured, regardless of the package you choose, all manuscripts are read multiple times, ensuring not only that all the corrections fit the story, but also nothing is missed or overlooked.
Initial Evaluation ($50.00)***
Have you written a novel and are unsure if it’s publishing ready? Take advantage of my new Initial Evaluation service. It is a detailed questionnaire that determines the amount of editing an author needs to complete before querying publishers.
* Read entire MS
* Detailed response on the story, characters, conflict, etc.
* Explanation of publisher ready
Coaching ($500.00/4 sessions)
Is my book, article, manual, whatever you are writing, good enough?
That’s a question we all ask. You may also want to know the answers to this question and more. I have all these ideas and how do I put them in written form? Whatever your need, my coaching service will help.
Services include but are not limited to the following:
* Free half-hour consultation for all incoming clients. Email me. Consultations are by phone or in person if you live near Franklin, Tennessee, and are willing to travel to the city.
* Questionnaire: This will determine the project, help me get to know you and your needs. While my expertise is in novels and education, I am currently ghostwriting a how-to guide. And as my bio states, I have worked with travel writers and businesses. You, too, may be a busy entrepreneur who needs help with putting your thoughts together.
Note: all pages of must be sent in Word .doc or .docx format. Times New Roman 12 pt. font with 1-inch margins all around. Within 2 weeks, I will return to you a detailed assessment of your work. A summary of what works, what needs fixing, and with suggestions for fleshing out the story, article, etc.
* Tools: I will provide a few tools, articles, links, etc., I’ve learned through my career to get you back on the writing path.
* Revisions: I will ask you to revise the pages I returned to you. I will complete a line by line edit of 1-5 pages
* Follow up as we go. By phone and or meet in person.
- I require prepayment for the first package of four sessions.
- I require 24 hours’ notice for cancellations.
- I have a strict confidentiality policy. All materials, ideas, and client information stay within the confines of the one-on-one calls.
EDITING FEE STRUCTURE:
Proofing/Final line edit (Beginning @ $0.003/word)**
* Correction of all spelling, capitalization, and punctuation issues
* Errors in grammar, syntax, and word usage
* Suggestions if paragraphs seem overly wordy/convoluted
* Suggestions if the story lacks forward momentum
This is a great package to help polish the final product.
Standard Edit (Beginning @* $0.005/word)**
* Suggestions for revising sentences and paragraphs
* Adjustments to sentence structure to improve clarity and flow
* Assistance with redundant sentences or vocabulary. This package is suggested if the manuscript is in the final draft stages but requires some polishing.
Developmental Edit (Beginning @ $0.007/word)**
* Identifying and captivating a particular audience
* Structure organization, including the arrangement or placement of certain passages, scenes, and chapters
* Assessing character motivation and consistency
* Package includes two thorough edits of the manuscript
I recommend this package if the manuscript is in the early draft stages. Note: Authors are always welcome to submit their first three chapters during this stage as a gauge.
Book Formatting: Word and PDF
* Formatting for online publication – $55.00
* Formatting for print publication – $55.00
* Formatting for both online and print publication – $100.00
Indie or first-time authors struggle to garner significant attention to their novels. I have written reviews for best-selling romance authors since I became an editor. You can trust me to do the same for your novel. I pride myself on giving honest, unbiased feedback.
This service entails two parts. The first an editorial review. Cost: $50.00. This price is well below market value. In fact, in my own research to find editorial reviews they begin at the steep price of $400.00+
The second part is a generic, thorough review of one aspect of your story, i.e. characterization or plot, etc. You may choose the element if you wish. That review is free and separate from the editorial. I will post the review to Amazon, thus boosting your ratings. *If you wish me to post the review on other platforms, there is a $5.00 fee per post. This fee follows most guidelines of online publishers.
Business Editing Services
($28.00 per hour)
* Developmental editing of publication. It is a detailed edit revising, suggesting changes, making comments, and grammar and spellcheck.
($22.00 per hour)
* Final line proofing to make the copy clean. And grammar and spellcheck.
Timeframe: Depending on word count and type of editing, I strive to have manuscripts back in the author’s hands in 3-4 weeks.
* I’ve added the caveat beginning @ in my service prices. It was something I thought long and hard about. In the last few months when speaking with authors who are looking for standard and developmental editing, I found their stories were not complete. Errors were well above 500 for a 60k-word novel. I could recite a long list of reasons. I strive to maintain excellence in my work. My reason, so the author’s work shines. To give my best, and for your novel to be the best, the change in service prices are necessary.
**Discount available on the purchase of two or more novel editing packages. Initial Evaluation*** service is free with the purchase of Developmental or Standard Edit.
FEES & CONDITIONS
All services shall be paid through PayPal.
Packages exceeding $100 require a 50% initial deposit. At 75% completion, the remaining 50% will be invoiced and payable upon receipt.
***Full payment of Initial Evaluation fee is required at the purchase of service. If the client wishes to add Developmental or Standard Edit within 7 days of receipt of the evaluation, the Initial Evaluation fee will be applied to the downpayment of Developmental or Standard Edit.
Manuscripts exceeding $500 require a 35% deposit. After 75% completion, the remaining 65% will be invoiced and payable upon receipt. If the client needs to divide payment into three parts, please let me know during the planning stage. I am willing to work with the client.